+ emergency room visit: take four

It seems as though I have visited the emergency room more times while living here in California than at any other time of my life. A little re-cap, shall we?

Visit 1: Me 32 weeks pregnant with Daphne. Late at night I experience intense pain in my tummy area. I call doctor, they suggest I visit the emergency room for preterm labor. I go and after being monitored they say I am dehydrated. (later i find it out it was my gallbladder)

Visit 2: Me, nursing my four month old baby start to experience chest pain. I think I'm having a heart attack. Remember this one?

Visit 3: Just four days later after that second visit I go back. But this time I'm admitted to the hospital because I found a doctor who has a brain and saw that I was actually dying (i'm barfing my brains out, i have jaundice, my pancreas and gall bladder hate my body) Remember?

And now as of a few days ago Visit 4: See, I wake up with really bad lower right abdominal pain. REALLY bad. I think maybe it's gas (too much information?) but the gas never comes. I lay on the floor most of the morning and beg Kelly not to leave for work. He stays long enough until Daphne falls asleep and then I fall asleep. But when I wake up it hurts worse. And I throw-up. Eeewww!
I call the doctor and describe my symptoms and what do you know they tell me to go to the Emergency Room. I call Kelly to come home. He does. He finds me on the floor, curled up in a ball, while Daphne plays around her near-dead mommy. We go to the E.R. I start to cry because I remember my last visit was a LONG one and pray this one isn't as long. After a 7 hour visit they rule out appendicitis. Phew! BUT - they tell me I have a cyst on my ovary that is ginormous and it has ruptured, now leaking fluid (too much information again). Which is why I am in SO MUCH pain. They give me lots and lots of pain-killers and send me home.

So what have I learned in all four visits? The same thing:
the e.r. sucks
i always get pricked
everything takes way too long - lots of waiting
it's hard taking your baby to the e.r.
it's hard to be so far from family when you have to go to the e.r.
we have good friends who always step-up to help -Thank you!!!!
and I hope I don't have to go back for a reeeaaalllly long time.

Long post. Amazing if you read it all!

9 comments:

  1. Rachelle~I am so sorry you have to learn so much about the er the very hard way. I hope you are feeling better. I agree, I hope you don't have to go back for a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any surgery to remove the cyst and what caused it in the first place and could it happen again and OH I hope that you are doing better and am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What bad luck you have, seriously! I'm so sorry you've had such an horrible time! I hope that your body gets feeling perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEEk! I'm so sorry. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds awful! I'm so sorry! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2/23/2009

    OH MY GOSH Rachelle! I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachelle I know exactly how you feel/felt. A couple days before Christmas I started with the same kind of pain but on my left side. I knew it was my ovary. It hurt to move, cough, walk, sit, and even breathe. I didn't go to emergency I went to OB/GYN cause I knew it had to be something with my ovary. They sent me for an ultra sound and the next day the pain went away. 3 weeks later my doctors office calls and said that there was fluid in my pelvis so I must have had a cyst that ruptured. I still get sharp pains every now and then. I just hope I don't get another one. It HURTS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHAT IS GOING ON!!!! WHY DIDN'T YOu CALLL ME?????? I had no idea. I am calling you tomorrow to find out the details please call me if you have any problems even if it is in the middle of the night you know I will be right over there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cysts hurt eh? They just found one on Carolyn's ovary...hope it doesn't rupture.

    ReplyDelete