Wednesday we awoke and had cinnamon rolls for breakfast.
Wednesday Daphne got herself dressed, brushed her teeth, and changed her outfit twice.
Wednesday was Daphne's kindergarten orientation. Mom and Dads allowed. In fact, required.
It was a good time.
We met her teacher, classmates, and had a look around the room and playground.
I thought she was nervous and she informed me she was not.
She decided two braids was perfect for her fist day.
She picked out her backpack a few weeks before and requested the seahorse patch (which could not be more appropriate because her school has an ocean view).
And I held it all together because the night before I had a good cry.
Then came Thursday.
She had to line up with her other little classmates and wave goodbye.
Talk about pulling my heart right out of my chest!
She was so brave and smiled and marched right off.
I walked away crying. Seriously, big surprise, I'm pregnant.
Forest was pretty bummed she left too.
But then we got to pick her up.
She beamed and talked about everything!
She has a friend named Melody, they played at recess together. And her teacher 'has kids too, she's not just a teacher, and she has a dog!"
She talked about the 'rules' and she can't remember them all.
Plus she got these two star papers because "she was so nice and did so good at school today".
On and on and on she talked.
I think I'll take her again tomorrow.
If I had my way I'd keep her home with me forever. She's just so cool.
But I can't so I'll spare you anymore sap stories and say that I think we will make it.






Rachelle...I cried reading this. Crap, I don't ever want my kids to go to school. And Daphne looks JUST like you!
ReplyDeleteNot that my kids are old or anything but watching them in school is so gratifying--all the parenting hard work stuff now shines through! Koen got on the bus the first day without saying good bye or anything--just decided to hop on instead of wait for me to put my shoes on. So I dashed over there and walked into his classroom and gave him a hug and a "have fun first grader." Another mom told me that it was good for him--we raised a confident boy that was prepared for his next adventure. So kudos to you and watching Daphne walk away head high and ready for her next adventure. And just wait....you'll be checking for missed calls all day long and watching the time creep by when they are all at school. Only two days into school and I'm almost bored stiff! (wow, long message--should've just called ya)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great first day it looks like she really did love it. Ella knows how Forest feels but it will be a good time for you and him. Go ahead and cry -- I do the first day of school every year (after the kids are gone of course -- I've got a rep to protect :).
ReplyDelete