running

I ran track when I was in junior high, who didn't really?
And I only think I did it because friends of mine were running and I thought it would be fun.
Turns out I wasn't really good.
As in, I wasn't a sprinter, I didn't do hurdles, long jump, etc. I always ran a lame 400 meter dash and always sucked. Seriously.
And I am pretty sure it scarred me through the rest of my teenager years. 
Sports weren't for me.

Then in college after I was married and was a health/biology major I started running outside and in the winter on the treadmill. I loved it. I could run farther than ever before and I wasn't being timed or judged on how fast I was. I did it purely for the high of how good it felt when I was finished. 
And it allowed me to stay in shape with all the benefits that come from running. 
I maybe ran one 5k in Island Park with a pregnant sister in law (hey angilee!) and that was it for racing. 

Through both children's pregnancies I would stop running and walk and then pick it up again. 
I think moving to California and finding a good running friend helped me realize I was ok and maybe a runner after all.  As in it was possible to run more than 3 miles.
 It feels so good to run alone at my own pace without a lousy junior high track couch yelling at me. Am I right? 

Long story short, there was  a 10k trail run right in San Clemente and I heard a friend was running it so I decided to run with her. 6 miles is nothing. I do that most mornings. 
All 6 miles in the hills is another thing.
 And it was all hills!
 Up, down, up down, up down.
The day before my race I had food poisoning. No lie.  I almost bailed. I was so sick! Then husband gave me a blessing (thank you!) and I woke up feeling awesome. 

So I did it. Those hills kicked my trash, not gonna lie. It was hot and I was pretty drained from the day before. 
But it was awesome. 
Seeing my cute kids and husband holding a sign when I came running around the corner made it all worth it. 

Also, a girl I ran with was 8 months pregnant. I have no excuses now. 

And now some pictures. I look horrible while running. The kids look a bit disheveled (kelly got them ready :) but he did good getting their on time).

Enjoy.





4 comments:

  1. So...where's the pregnant lady? Please tell me she is not the one in white because you can go ahead and remind her that people like me while pregnant could eat her for breakfast. She looks fabulous by the way and completely,utterly jealous. Tell her she's amazing. Anyway--the picture of you running while the ponytail is swinging is so magazine material. And really, nothing beats the mini fan club. I ran a 1/2 while in the first stage of that infamous "swimming pool" virus with everything coming out both ends and it was a nightmare. The fan club throughout the race was a lifesaver. Daradie and Koen ran one last week--a 5k. Daradie finished in 37 min. and Koen a whopping 31 mins. They did fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the one in white was pregnant. Um, we need to talk about this 1/2 experience, I had no idea. Also, way to go Koen and Daradie! That's so awesome!

      Delete
  2. looks like you did awesome. good to know you didn't get eaten by a bobcat. I had a pregnant lady pass me while running a race . . . i vowed to do better

    ReplyDelete