out with the old

our 2010 Christmas tree on the way out the door


Last week I got the flu. That is, the stomach flu. Having the flu really is a great way to start a new year (enter sarcasm).  I spent the first half of the week on the toilet or barfing in the toilet or laying dead on the couch. My poor kids spent the first half of the week watching movie after movie and eating whatever they could find in the cupboard. Sad.

I had a lot of time to think while I was laying around. I realized that I am less happy when I am doing things that are not important and the most happy when I am doing things that are important. Wait, you already knew that? Well, it took me awhile to figure that out!

The second half of the week that I felt better I promised myself to only do things that were important. So I played with my kids, spent time with Kelly, read my scriptures, found time to exercise, etc. I spent as little time as possible on the computer. Um, newsflash, I don't have another job besides mama-hood, so I don't get a lot of emails, so I really don't need to be on the computer.

You know what? Even though I was sick last week it turned out to be a really, really good one. Bring on the new year!

2 comments:

  1. Told myself that I'd give a few more days and then call because haven't heard from you via blog for awhile. Good to know you're still alive...kind of and glad that you're feeling better. Don't feel bad about kids eating whatever out of the cupboards and wearing the same PJ's for three days in a row--morning and night. Happens to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the stomach flu is the worst. Plus it reminds me of being pregnant, when I was a complete blob on the couch for the first five months. YUK!!

    So proud of you for learning and listening to yourself and what works for you. Every one is different, and being happy is so important. It gives us the incentive and drive to find more things that make us happy, and important things, like family and faith are what truly make us happy.

    Looks like you've already made some excellent changes in 2011. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete