an oatmeal cookie


There were about 501 reasons why I SHOULD NOT have made cookies. 
But I also thought of about 3 reasons why it was okay to make cookies. So I made cookies. And really, when I get an idea in my mind that involves cookies it usually ends with cookies on my counter. I think I have a problem.

Now, the recipe. Adapted slightly from this one.

Iced Oatmeal Cookies  
(say what you want, i love a good oatmeal cookie, reminds me of my dad, and how good do they look up there on my counter)

Butter for baking sheets
2 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon old fashioned oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg 
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs

Icing:
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
5 to 6 tablespoons milk
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350°F with racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Rub two baking sheets with butter. In a food processor, grind 1/2 cup of oats to a fine powder, then add remaining oats and grind them all together until it resembles coarse meal, with only a few large flakes remaining.

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk butter and eggs until combined. Using a spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Scoop balls of dough about 2 to 3 tablespoons in size. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through.* When tops are evenly brown, take them out and transfer them to a cooling rack. Repeat with remaining cookie dough. Let cookies cool completely before icing.

Cookies will keep covered at room temperature for up to a week.
 
*my cookies only needed about 13 - 14 minutes of baking time. watch them depending on how hot your oven is.

3 comments:

  1. I love SK, thanks to you! I will be making these pronto. Let's play date soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making these today!!

    The boys need cookies for their lunches, and it's snowy/rainy/cold outside today. Perfect day for baking!!

    It was so fun to chat with you yesterday. We need to do that more often. I just love ya girlie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, these are delcious, and a huge hit with the kiddos/hubby.

    ReplyDelete