I think I am getting old. Wait, correction, I am getting old.
I went running on Saturday at noon, with a friend, and the sun was beating down on us. That 6 miles felt like 20! I have no desire to work on my tan while I run. I would much prefer running in the early hours of the morning when it is still slightly chilly. Also, I apparently look frumpy in my work out clothes because they aren't matchy matchy and my booty isn't hanging out and most of my body is covered while I run. See, I am in fact getting old!
Also this weekend I got a new cookbook and it was the highlight of my weekend. I was so excited! Seriously again, I must be getting old if I am excited about a cookbook.
We had apple bread with fresh whipped cream (not to be confused with cool whip or the stuff in a can) on Sunday. It was most delicious. Want the recipe?
Apple Bread
(adapted from this cook book)
1/4 lb butter plus 3 tablespoons, softened
scant 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
dash of salt
about 2 apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely grated
1 tsp vanilla extract
topping:
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a loaf pan. Beat sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs. Sift the flour, soda, powder, cinnamon, and dash of salt. Mix with butter mixture. Add apples and vanilla and mix well. Scrape into pan.
Mix topping and scatter abundantly over the top of batter. Bake for 45 minutes or until top is crusty brown and toothpick comes out clean. Check after 30 minutes and cover the top with foil if too brown.
Cool slightly before turning out. Serve slightly warm, at room temp, with whipped cream, ice cream, or eat just as it is with a glass of milk!

I had this bread at a friends party a couple weeks ago. However we topped it w/ cool whip. I can imagine that real whipping cream would taste delish!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting the recipe. I am going to make this tomorrow.
BTW-I am sure you're probably totally wondering who I am. If you would like to blog lurk me, I'm cool with that. I need your email tho. :)