dreaming of chocolate


I had to speak in church on Sunday. I think I spoke about having faith while enduring trials. I pretty much cried and couldn't see my freakin' talk because of the tears. It was so awesome. Actually, when I was finished all I could think about was how I wanted cake or cupcakes or something really chocolaty because I deserved a reward for speaking in church. Right?

Then to my dismay I looked in the fridge after church and realized I had no eggs! What? I almost called a friend to borrow some. But then I remembered my mom's rich chocolate cake recipe calls for no eggs. Yup, that's right. And so I halved the recipe and made cupcakes. I made some frosting and ate 3 in a row. I'm not lying. I felt complete.

Don't judge me that I am posting two recipes in a row. I just think everyone should have a cake recipe as good as this one without having to use eggs. Because it could happen to you - you know, craving cake on a Sunday and not having eggs. The tragedy.

Rich Chocolate Cake (from my mom)

1/2 cup butter (no substitutions)
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp vinegar
3 c. flour
2 c sugar
6 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 c water

Mix softened butter, vanilla, vinegar, sugar. Sift together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda. Alternate pouring in water and flour mixture in with butter/sugar mixture. Beat for 2 minutes.

Cake at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes
Cupcakes at 350 for 10 - 15 minutes.

Lick all the batter you want because there are no eggs.

Frosting was just a chocolate buttercream frosting in which I used unsweetened baking chocolate instead of cocoa. Ta Da!

And please notice how adorable my son is. He looked like a little Kelly on Sunday. At least that is what Kelly said, "forest looks like a mini me in that shirt and brown pants". He really did.


3 comments:

  1. Oh yes he does look like Kelly :) So freaking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um. I'd lick the batter even if it did have eggs. I'm a risk taker like that. Looks so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, he is so adorable, so so adorable,

    and no judging go on here, I'm loving all the fantastic recipes, and so is my family, so keep 'em coming!!

    The soup was delish!!

    I miss you, I'll call you soon to catch up!!

    ReplyDelete