Let's talk about pancakes. And how much I LOVE this new recipe my friend Alisha sent my way.
Do you want to know why I am in love with this recipe and why I have been dreaming of these? It's because you make a dry mix (like 10 cups of it) and it stores forever in the fridge. It is kind of like you are making your own Bisquick except it's healthier and better. And then when you want pancakes you just add an egg and some buttermilk.
We like them so much at our house that Kelly informed me I am never allowed to make any other kind of pancake. Ever.
Please make some this weekend. They are so fluffy and they pretty much melt in your mouth.
*but they take a little time so be ready for that*
Oatmeal Pancake Mix
(i altered just a tad)
3 1/2 c rolled quick oats
3 c whole wheat flour
2 c all-purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp b. powder
1/2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp b. soda
1 c canola oil
Mix all dry ingredients in a mixer with a paddle. With mixer on slow speed, drizzle oil into bowl. When all oil has been added stop the mixer. Squeeze a clump in your hand and if it sticks together it is ready! Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks at room temperature or in the fridge or freezer forever.
To make pancakes:
Whisk together 1 c of mix with 1 egg and 1 cup of buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk you can use half PLAIN yogurt and half milk, that's what we do). Let batter sit for about 20 minutes. I think the longer it sits the fluffier the pancakes. Pour on griddle and flip when edges look dry and bubbles come to surface.
1 c of mix equals about 7 pancakes
Homemade maple syrup
1 c brown sugar
1 c white sugar
1 c water
2 tsp mapeleine
Mix sugars and water. Bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes, add mapeleine, and serve with pancakes.
Just store extra syrup in the fridge. I have no idea how long it lasts but we always run out and have to make more before it goes bad.
Yes - that's a lot of sugar but it's REAL sugar and not some crap on the shelf at the store. :)
Oh yum! I needed this recipe! I don't have a GREAT pancake recipe and you just solved my problem I do believe. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteWhat's mapleine and is it found in the spice section? Like a maple flavoring? I'm interested.
ReplyDeleteyes - it's a maple flavoring and it is found in right next to vanilla, almond, etc.
ReplyDeleteMade these today!! SO YUMMY!! Thanks again for the recipe!
ReplyDelete